Sunday, October 3, 2010

Nex-5 and I

iJose knew how much I really wanted the Sony Nex-5 so when he found it during his last trip, he remembered me and asked if I wanted it and when I got all psyched (after some hesitation since I've never physically seen it) and finally said yes, he got it for me. I loved it, as I've been wanting it for a while now. When I first saw it, I was so happy! Especially since it came to me by surprise, because it wasn't in Kuwait when I last checked. Anyway, I usually take a few days to adjust to the transition of using something new fulltime. However, this time it took a longer time. A few days turned into weeks. Unfortunately, a few days ago I discovered the source of my lack of chemistry with MY new camera that was on my Wishlist 2010. I may have had a misjudgment about it.

I realized that it won't be as compact as I had imagined. I can't use it without the zoom lens it came with, which is 18-55mm. It’s pretty big. There's a smaller lens that I could buy as an extra, but it would still be bulging out. I have always been a Sony Cybershot person. I had 2 of them. I love how I could just throw it into my bag and how it was slim and light. But with this one, I wouldn't feel right throwing it with everything else. And true it's light, but not as light as the Cybershot. And I'll admit to something. I think I wanted the Nex-5 for the wrong reason. I thought  I wanted more options in photography with the lenses and the video and the sweep and panorama views etc. But I realize now (after it's too late) that I don't want all that. True I don’t have as many options with the Cybershot as I do with the Nex-5, but maybe I don't need them for my style/interests in photography. Maybe I am a Cybershot person, (or a little regular camera person), period. I could go around with it and click away at the most randomest things, at the most randomest times, which is a reputation that has been established for me among my family and friends.. "a la Mocha, the tourist". And most importantly, I cherished the fact that I could just throw it into my bag, which has almost everything, and not feel guilty about it, you know?
/
I had a misjudgment. I usually take a longer time before I make such purchases. I go back and fourth on it a couple of times. Hold it. Click it. Analyze it's dimensions (which apparently appears to be my main criteria). I should have made sure that it was really what I wanted before making the purchase. What a waste of a great machine, seriously. And I also feel bad that iJose was happy that he got me something I really wanted and now I'm not feeling it anymore.
/

2 comments:

No3iK said...

heeeeey
first of all i missed u!

and im so sorry u and ur new cam didnt click! i agree with the part that u have to "test drive it" first then and only then can decide if its what u want.. better luck nxt time inshalla ;)

a la Mocha said...

No3ik, welcome back! Miss u 2 around here wala. :) And thanks, inshala next time i'll be 100% certain b4 i buy it. ;P